The Aoi Pavilion and the new basement stack to the west of the Library will be completed this term. Books in Japanese, Chinese and Korean will be moved into the Aoi Pavilion from several areas of the Library, particularly North Front 3 and 4. The entrance to the Aoi Pavilion reading room and to the new East Asian bookstacks will be through a newly constructed doorway next to the Anderson Room entrance. Offices for the Library's Japanese and Chinese specialists will be adjacent to the reading room, so that they can provide immediate assistance to readers. Book fetching services will be co-ordinated from a new staff area between the Anderson Room and the Aoi Reading Room and serving both rooms.
The move of East Asian books from North Front and the new space in the west bookstacks will allow us for the first time for decades to respace the open-access collections and make best use of the large, though finite, amount of space available. These moves will start after Easter. More details will be given in the next
Construction work on the Library's new exhibition centre and the redesign of the Entrance Hall begin this term. The exhibition centre will provide us for the first time with a purpose-built area to display the Library's treasures both to readers and to members of the general public. The exhibitions will be professionally designed and the centre will meet the highest standards of both display and conservation. Adjacent to it will be a new Admissions Office and two seminar rooms which can be converted into a lecture theatre for up to a hundred people. This complex will be situated on the ground floor to the right (north) of the Entrance Hall and a new locker room will be created off the Entrance Hall, on the south side.
The Entrance Hall itself will be refurbished, with the present counter and the borrowing desk on the first floor being replaced by a new circular desk at the Entrance Hall level. Both borrowing and returns, together with entry and exit control, will thus be carried out in one location, providing Library users with a better and more efficient service.
This project has been made possible thanks to support from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Cambridge University Press Fund, the Isaac Newton Trust and the Friends of the Library. The refurbishment of the Entrance Hall is planned to take place during March and the exhibition centre is expected to be completed by June. We shall make every effort to minimise the disturbance to readers, but some disruption is inevitable and we hope that you will bear with us during this short period whilst we improve our facilities in order to provide you with a higher standard of service.
'Jindyworobak' and 'Angry penguins' may be terms unfamiliar to many of the University Library's users, but they are prominent among recent acquisitions in Australian literature.
The Library has considerable holdings in this field - much of it acquired by legal deposit at the time of publication, but also by purchase and donation. These collections have been strengthened by the recent acquisition of the library of the Royal Commonwealth Society.
Some of the earliest Australian literary works are represented. The first books of poems published in Australia - Barron Field's First fruits of Australian poetry - commenting on the oddities of Australian flora and fauna and originally published in 1819, appears in an edition of 1941 in the Royal Commonwealth Society library. Charles Tompson's Wild notes from the lyre of a native minstrel (1826), the first volume of verse by an Australian-born writer actually published in the country, is held in facsimile in both the Royal Commonwealth Society's and the University Library's collections, as is the original 1838 edition of Miscellanies in prose and verse by William Woolls, one of Australia's first essayists. An early piece with Cambridge connections is Australasia by the Australian-born William Charles Wentworth; it was written in 1823 as an entry in the competition for a Chancellor's Medal while he was a an undergraduate at Cambridge; it came second!
Early writings by women have not been ignored - titles range from Mary Grimstone's novel Woman's love (1832) and numerous works by Ada Cambridge to the novels of Rosa Praed. Apart from purely literary works the Royal Commonwealth Society library also includes one of the most notable of Australian women's memoirs - Memories of early days in South Australia - by Jane Watt. Published anonymously in 1882 it constitutes a valuable record of life in Adelaide from 1837 to 1845.
Children's literature ranges from the novels of Ethel Turner, including her classic Seven little Australians, and the Billabong series of Mary Grant Bruce to The magic pudding by Norman Lindsay and the stories of the 'Gumnut babies' by May Gibbs.
Recent purchases of Australian literature have built on the strengths of our 19th and early 20th century holdings, with the acquisition of works by Colin Thiele, Hal Porter, David Malouf, Geoffrey Dutton, James McAuley, Rosemary Dobson, A.D. Hope, Les Murray, Mary Gilmore and others.
The opportunity to acquire publications relating to the Jindyworobak movement and the Angry penguins of the 1930s and 1940s was not to be missed. The Jindyworobaks have been described as the most extreme expression of the revival of Australian nationalism in the 1930s. The movement came into being in 1938 when Rex Ingamells formed the Jindyworobak Club and published a manifesto of the movement as well as the first Jindyworobak anthology of poetry. The Library has recently purchased an almost complete run of these anthologies from 1938 to 1953, as well as the writings of individual 'Jindies' such as Ingamells himself, James Devaney, W. Flexmore Hudson, W. Hart-Smith, C.B. Christesen and others. Other acquisitions include the Jindyworobak review 1938-1948 (Melbourne 1948) and Kenneth Gifford's Jindyworobak: towards an Australian culture (Melbourne 1944). The term 'Jindyworobak' was adapted from an aboriginal term meaning 'to annex, to join' and it was Ingamells's linking of Jindyworobak philosophy with aboriginal culture which was to prove controversial and often ridiculed, a reaction exacerbated by the occasional Jindyworobak habit of using aboriginal works in their poetry. Although the Jindyworobak school was a force in Australian poetry from about 1938 to 1945 it was at that time referred to in largely disparaging and dismissive terms. Recently, however, it has undergone favourable re-evaluation.
Another, opposed, literary movement of the 1940s in Australia centred on the journal Angry penguins published from 1940 to 1946, and described by its editor and proprietor Max Harris as 'aggressively modernist'. The Library has recently acquired a number of issues of this journal, but as yet not a complete run. The term 'angry penguins' was taken from a poem by Max Harris - "As drunks, the angry penguins of the night" - and the journal brought together a number of diverse writers and artists, including Harris himself, Peter Cowan, Sidney Nolan and Arthur Boyd. Unlike the Jindyworobaks, it also attempted to link Australian art and literature to European movements of the time, publishing work by such contemporary overseas writers as Dylan Thomas. The journal and its editor were however attracted to any writing which presented itself as avant-garde, an attitude with left it open to the Ern Malley hoax, one of Australia's most notorious hoaxes.
The Library has acquired not only issues of Angry penguins but also works by individual poets who published in the journal, as well as a contemporary account of the hoax - Ern Malley and the Angry penguins, being a review of the greatest hoax in Australia's literary history, published in 1945.
A message from the Committee of the Friends of the Library
Launched in May 1997, the Friends' Appeal has already raised nearly £6,000 towards the display cases and other furniture in the Library's new exhibition centre. A further £5,000 has been committed from existing Friends' funds for this purpose, while the Committee has pledged a similar sum in each of the next three years towards the costs of mounting exhibitions. Contributions on such a scale underline the Friends' support for this welcome and extremely significant initiative. In years to come, exhibitions in the new centre will raise the profile of many important Library collections, making them, for the first time, widely accessible to the general public.
The Committee is extremely grateful to the many Friends, corporate members and individuals, who have given so far. Further contributions will, of course, be most welcome. It wishes to remind Friends that, in recognition of substantial contributions, seminar room chairs and exhibition cases can be fitted with suitably-worded plaques, if required. Donations should be sent to the Honorary Treasurer, Friends of Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR, who will be happy to supply further details on any aspect of the Appeal.
With the completion of a collaborative project involving three University Library departments: Manuscripts, IT and Photography, the text and colour illustrations of one of the Library's most precious medieval manuscripts are now available online, thanks to digitisation of the photographic images of its leaves.
MS.Ee.3.59 contains the only copy of an illustrated Anglo-Norman verse Life of St Edward the Confessor, written in England probably in the late 1230s or early 1240s, and preserved in this manuscript, executed around 1250-60.
A masterpiece of mid-thirteenth century English illumination, the present manuscript preserves vital evidence for the study of the hagiographical writings about St Edward sponsored by Henry III, and also for the complexity and sophistication of English pen and wash narrative art in this period. The text is based upon Aelred of Rievaulx's twelfth-century Latin Life, written around the time of the saint's canonisation in 1161. The Life tells how Edward was exiled as a boy during the Danish occupation, and how his rule proved of benefit to the English people; it describes his visions and miracles, his patronage of Westminster Abbey and the manner of his death, before covering the downfall of his successor, Harold, and the eventual opening of the king's tomb.
Numerous correspondences between the text and the historical works of Matthew Paris (d. 1259) suggest very strongly that Matthew was in fact the author. The manuscript consists of thirty-seven folios and a total of sixty-four pictures, and is a slightly later copy of the original. Its format, with framed illustrations at the head of the page, resembles such autograph works of Matthew Paris as his Life of St Alban, now in Trinity College Library Dublin, and also the stylistically related Apocalypses.
Presented with an introduction by Dr Paul Binski of Gonville and Caius College, the digital version of the manuscripts can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/MSS/Ee.3.59/
Since the last edition of the Newsletter several enhancements to full-text electronic journal services have been introduced, most notably aiding in navigation between related articles and between articles and abstracting services. Bibliographic databases hosted by BIDS such as the ISI citation indexes and IBSS now offer links to full text articles from titles included in BIDS JournalsOnline. The 'Full Text Delivery' link is visible from marked record results displays.
The Institute of Physics (IOP) Online Journal service at http://www.iop.org/EJ/welcome/ makes hyperlinks from the reference list of each article to abstracts from the INSPEC database dating back to 1969, the Los Alamos Physics pre-print server, or to the corresponding full text article from the IOP archive itself.
Networked Dataset News
The International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (IBSS) has completed the processing of a backfile of records extending the coverage of the database from 1951 to the present. The database now contains over 1.5 million references to the international literature and a further 90,000 records are added annually. IBSS is available at http://www.bids.ac.uk/ibss
The Library is also providing networked access to RILM Abstracts of Music Literature.
In a major addition to the Library's range of networked databases, access has been arranged to the Dialog@Carl, Citadel, and RLIN collections, containing over 300 files. Titles include the Applied Social Sciences Index and Abtracts, GeoRef, and Inspec, with a wide range of databases available in virtually every subject area. Medical sciences and management studies are particularly well represented.
The Library is also making access available to the Research Libraries Group EUREKA collection of fifteen online databases. Covering a broad range of subjects, it includes the English Short Title Catalogue, FRANCIS, and History of Science and Technology. The service is available at http://eureka.rlg.org/.
For further news on electronic information services please refer to the Library's Web page: http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/InformationServices/
The collection of CD-Rom titles has been boosted by the addition of ISI Journal Citation Reports Science Edition 1995-96, The Dead Sea Scrolls, DocTheses, the Utrecht Psalter, and Die Kirchliche Dogmatik, by Karl Barth. The Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph, 1991-97, have joined the list of newspapers available on CD-Rom.
Lent Term 1998
Saturday 31 January at 11.30 in the Chadwick Room, Selwyn College (coffee will be served at 11.00) Please note change of venue
Dr Jim Secord
Lions and bores: scientific books and the art of
conversation in Victorian London
Admission free of charge to Friends; others £3.50
Easter Term 1998
Wednesday 22 April at 17.45
Venue to be advertised
(tea will be served at 17.15)
Mr John Murray
Two centuries of a publishing house:
the firm of John Murray
Friends £2.50; others £3.50
The University Library has recently taken out a trial subscription to the following periodical titles for one year only and renewal of the subscriptions beyond the first year will depend on the level of use. The titles can be found in the West Room in the pigeonholes indicated in the list below, and readers are invited to sign the sheet attached to each issue whenever they consult the periodical.
African sociological review T.344
Cahiers d'études hongroises T.293
Critique communiste C.568
Ethical perspectives B.307
Etudes photographiques O.1
Jahrbuch zur Geschichte und Wirkung des Holocaust T.399
Journal of child and adolescent substance abuse C.222
Journal of marital and family therapy C.648
Journal of productivity analysis C.33
Linguistic typology W.167
Moskovskii lingvisticheskii zhurnal W.503
Public choice C.693
Revista de hispanismo filosófico B.228
South African journal of ethnology R.11
Vestnik Evrazii T.87
Zeitschrift für altorientalische und biblische Rechtsgeschichte E.79
The Map Department has recently purchased, with the help of the Friends of Cambridge University Library, a two-volume work
entitled Piante di popoli e strade (University Library classmark S696.bb.98.4). Reproduced, in colour, is a series of late-16th-century manuscript maps of parts of the province of Florence and neighbouring areas in Tuscany. The original maps, held in the Archivio di Stato di Firenze, were heavily used and the facsimile was produced to reduce wear and tear on these fragile documents. As a result, a much broader audience has been provided with a means of viewing these unique and fascinating documents. The maps were compiled as part of a vast programme of description and measurement of public roads and countryside at the end of the 16th century. Communities and individual buildings are portrayed in surprising detail. Information is also given about the roads and a detailed introductory chapter discusses road maintenance in the area from the 14th century.