Introduction (by Lionel Giles)
Three sets of the Gu jin tu shu ji cheng 《古今图书集成》are deposited in Cambridge University Library:
1. The facsimile edition (光绪本), printed on white paper (连史纸) by Tongwen Shuju 同文书局, Shanghai, 1894; 5,044 fascicles in 528 cases (11 x 7 inches) occupying 252 linear feet of shelving. On loan from the China Society of London, to whom it was presented by the Emperor of China in 1908 [enquire in East Asian Reading Room].
2. The movable type reprint (扁字本) by Major Brothers, Shanghai, 1885-88; 1,620 fascicles (19.5 x 13 cm.), bound into 442 volumes. Formerly owned by Professor H.A. Giles (1845-1935) [FB.31.85-526]. Another (imperfect) set is in the Needham Research Institute (East Asian History of Science Library).
3. The reduced photolithographic reprint of the original 1726 edition formerly owned by Kang Youwei 康有为 (1858-1927), first published by Zhonghua Shuju 中华书局, Shanghai, in 1934 and reissued jointly by Zhonghua Shuju and Ba-Shu Shushe 巴蜀书社, Beijing and Chengdu, 1985-88; 82 volumes, pp. 786 + 97674 + 950 + 1434. Fully paginated, each page representing nine pages of the original, and with a comprehensive index. This set stands in the East Asian Reading Room [FB.31.1015-1096].