Metadata for RCSPC-Y3061E-111 (RCS Y3061E/111)

View Dublin Core Record

Identifier: RCSPC-Y3061E-111
Creator: S H Parsons and Sons
Title: View down Longs Hill, St John's
Description: On the left hand side are the Methodist College and home for boarders. The former was pulled down in 1984/85, the latter much earlier. The spire behind is that of the Presbyterian Church, and the scaffolded building in the centre is the new Gower Street Methodist (now United) Church. The Anglican Cathedral is behind it. The ships in harbour could belong to the North Atlantic Squadron. In the background on the left is Signal Hill and the Cabot Tower: on the right are the South Side Hills, sealing and similar premises on the South Side, by the Harbour. In the centre background are the Narrows. An interesting item is the square of trees to the centre right of the road, planted to act as a fire break in the event of any future fires - an official order after the 1892 fire that destroyed much of St John's. Photograph taken at the turn of the century.
Date created from: 1900
Date created to: 1900
Coverage spatial: St John's (North and Central America, Canada, Newfoundland, Newfoundland island)
Contributor: Bell, James, fl 1902-12, clergyman
Source: RCS Y3061E/111
Is part of: RCS Photograph Collection, Y3061E.
DCMIType: Image
Medium: image/jpeg
Extent: 133KB
Dimension X: 800
Dimension Y: 499
Dimension units: Pixels
Resolution: 72 dpi
Bit depth: 24 bit
Colour space: Adobe RGB 1998
Compression type: JPEG
Compression ratio: Quality 9
Camera body: Mamiya RB
Camera back: Leaf Valeo 11 Digital
Lighting: 1000w Bowens Flash Heads
Lens: Mamiya 50mm f/4.5 Wide Angle Lens
ISO: 25
Aperture: F/16
ShutterSpeed: 1/125
Digitised by: SM. Photography Department. Cambridge University Library.
Publisher: Royal Commonwealth Society Library. Cambridge University Library. University of Cambridge.
Rights: Copyright Cambridge University Library.
Date Digitised: 2003-11-14