|Active Dates:||circa 1895 - circa 1895|
|Photographs:||See list of photographs|
|Related Entries:||None found.|
William Gammie set up a commercial photographic studio in 1898 at 15 High Street, Turriff, N.B. [North Britain?], where he had a newsagent's business. He published photographs of the area surrounding Turriff as postcards, and was also a portrait photographer. The photograph held in the RCS collection is of a newly elected Resident member of the Royal Colonial Institute, John A. Douglas, in 1895.
Over the next half century William Gammie and his son, also William, took many of the old Turriff photographs which have survived, both in private collections and in the Aberdeenshire Archives. The elder William died in 1958 and his son, who took over the business, died without heirs.
Gammie’s photos were used by other postcard publishers, certainly including George Geddes, some of whose cards are marked ‘G Geddes, Aberchirder / Photo by Gammie, Turriff’.