|Active Dates:||1864 - 1874|
Sri Lanka (nation)
Central Province (province)
Kandy (inhabited place)
North Central Province (province)
Anuradhapura (inhabited place)
Polonnaruwa (inhabited place)
Sigiriya (inhabited place)
|Photographs:||See list of photographs|
Ceylon, Ruins of Pollanarua etc.
Ceylon, Ruins of Anuradhapura etc.
[Albums of photographs with printed overlay titles, produced in connection with archaeological work circa 1872, probably only two or three printed].
Chromolithograph from photograph by Lawton used as frontispiece to:
Capper, John (1871), 'The Duke of Edinburgh in Ceylon : a book of elephant and elk sport'. London : Provost.
|Related Entries:||None found.|
Joseph Lawton was employed by H.C. Byrde and Sons (merchants) circa 1864. From circa 1866 he was a photographer at 1 Castle Hill Street, Kandy. He photographed the ruins of Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa and Sigiria for the Committee on Ancient Architecture in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) 1870-1871. He ceased photographing circa 1872. He returned to England due to ill-health and had died by 1874.
The firm continued after Lawton's death and was managed by his wife, Helen, at 1 New Road, Kandy (there was also a millinery establishment at 12 New Road). The firm was advertising as a chemists and druggists in 1876 but it still continued to sell Lawton's photographs.
Circa 1876 to 1881 the business was continued by C. Robertson from 11 Ward Street, Kandy. The firm was taken over by R. Charter by 1885. The archaeological negatives were dispersed at some stage before 1915.
Circa 1871 Lawton also employed: W.C. Webster, A.W. Grigson, J. Simpson.