skip to content

Cambridge University Library


The title of the ‘Master of Glomery’ has never been fully explained to universal satisfaction. Briefly, Glomery Hall was the Grammar School standing largely under the east end of King’s Chapel, and accordingly demolished. Glomery Lane was an earlier or alternative name of Schools Street, running roughly along what is now the south side of Senate House Green up to Glomery Hall. The functions of the Master of Glomery have been variously conjectured ― Senior Regent, Orator, Registrary, and so on. He certainly appears to have held courts, and to have had jurisdiction over students of grammar, much in the same way as the Chancellor had over other students. A grace of 1539 refers to [Sir] John Cheke as ‘glomeriae magister’, but the office seems to have become extinct soon after this date. For further information see, H. P. Stokes, The medieval hostels of the university of Cambridge, together with chapters on Le Glomery Hall and the Master of Glomery (Cambridge Antiquarian Society. Octavo publications. no. xlix (1924) 43–57; D. R. Leader, A history of the university of Cambridge , Vol. 1, The university to 1546 (Cambridge, 1988) 114-15.