skip to content

Cambridge University Library


Founded as the Philosophical Library, the library of the Philosophical Society, in 1819 and taken into the care of the University in 1881, subject to the reservation of the rights of the Fellows of the Society, who with University teaching officers, may introduce students as readers. The library was transferred to premises in the Arts School in 1935. The title of the library changed to the Scientific Periodicals Library in 1967 and it became organisationally part of the University Library in 1976. It was renamed the Central Science Library in 2004. It closed in 2015 on redevelopment of the Arts School whereupon its journal collection was put into long-term storage and its monograph collection transferred to The Betty and Gordon Moore Library. See