skip to content

Please note that Registration will be closed between January 2nd - January 9th 2018. The Library will be undergoing an essential system upgrade that will mean that the registration database is unavailable. During this time, only temporary reading access cardboard cards may be issued.  ID will still be required (see  


 We would strongly encourage you to visit us in December 2017 or after January 9th 2018, particularly if you wish to obtain a more permanent pass for the Library or to extend your borrowing rights.

If you do not have a current University of Cambridge card, you will need to show two forms of ID when you visit Reader Registration. Further details on who can use the Library are here:

Please note:

  • two forms of ID must be shown, one with a photograph and one with proof of permanent home address.  Single forms of ID that include both are not acceptable on their own.
  • all ID must be valid within six months.
  • some driving licences and national ID cards and most passports do not show an address.
  • it is your responsibility to provide official translations of documents written in non-Latin script.  Please contact the Reader Services Desk if you are unsure what is required.

Acceptable photographic ID (please read notes above):

  • Passport
  • Driving licence
  • National ID card
  • Student card showing expiry date
  • Staff card showing expiry date (i.e. NHS, University)
  • Police / Customs / Home Office Warrant Card
  • Forces ID card
  • Bus pass with photo
  • Previous UL card or photocard from another UK Legal Deposit Library (BL, National Libraries of Scotland and Wales, Bodleian Libraries, TCD)

Acceptable ID to show address (please read notes above):

  • Driving licence
  • Utility bill (Gas, Electricity, Telephone, Water)
  • Bank statement
  • Council Tax bill
  • Tenancy Agreement
  • HM Revenue and Customs statement
  • State Pension Book
  • Benefit / Family Credit Book
  • Passports (ONLY where the address has been officially printed by the issuing authority)
  • National ID card
  • Home Office Permit to Stay
  • University certificate for Hall of Residence (stamped and signed by institution)
  • TV licence
  • Firearms licence
  • Home insurance policy
  • Pay slip (where employer’s and employee’s addresses are stated)
  • Employment contract (where employer’s and employee’s addresses are stated)
  • Prescription issued by doctor
  • Polling card
  • Confirmation of listing on electoral roll