skip to content

Cambridge University Library


Formally established shortly after 1410 and for many years housed in the Old Schools, the library moved to its present site on West Road in 1934. Until the mid-nineteenth century it was often referred to as 'The Public Library'. For more information on the present library go to: and on its history:

For more detailed accounts see: J. C. T. Oates, Cambridge University Library: a history. From the beginnings to the Copyright Act of Queen Anne (Cambridge, 1986), David McKitterick, Cambridge University Library: a history. The eighteenth and nineteenth centuries (Cambridge, 1986) and P. K. Fox (ed.) Cambridge University Library - The Great Collections (Cambridge, 1998).