skip to content

Cambridge University Library


The University’s arms, gules, a cross ermine between four lions passant gardant or, and on the cross a closed book fessways gules, clasped and garnished or, the clasps downward, were granted to the University by Robert Cooke, Clarenceux King of Arms, in 1573. The original grant survives as University Archives: Arms 1. See also heraldry.