skip to content

Cambridge University Library


The Museum of the History of Science and its library in Free School Lane, founded in 1944, but not reaching its present, permanent, site until 1959, is named after R. S. Whipple (1871-1953), chairman of the Cambridge Instrument Company, who gave his collections of books and instruments to the University. For further information go to or see the brief accounts by D. J. Bryden, ‘When in Cambridge, 2: The Whipple Museum of the History of Science’, Cambridge 2 (1978) pp. 10-13, and Liba Taub, ibid 48 (Mid-year 2001) pp. 15-18.