The Map Department of Cambridge University Library is being required to shorten its opening hours, and from 11 January 2014 will be closed on Saturdays.
You will, however, be able to consult most items ordered by 12.45 the previous day in the Munby Rare Books Reading Room, which is open from 9am to 4.30pm on Saturdays.
To order items please contact the Map Department by the means mentioned below, making it clear that you will be visiting on Saturday.
Contact Information for the Map Room:
- email: email@example.com
- telephone: 01223 333041
- address: Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR
Some things to note:
- No fetching of Map Department items will be possible on Saturdays. Map Department classmarks begin with Atlas, Maps, S696, Views, Ms.Plans or Maps.Ms.Plans.
- The staff on duty in the Rare Books Reading Room will probably not be Map Room staff and so will probably be unable to answer queries relating to maps.
- You can use a camera to take images of items (subject to the restrictions set out at http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/deptserv/maps/photog.html) but the Rare Books staff will not be able to advise on obtaining copies from our Digital Content Unit.
- Most of the map collection is only catalogued in our card catalogue, which is in the Map Room and which will therefore be unavailable on Saturdays. It is not possible to request access to it.
- The Ordnance Survey digital data is only accessible on a dedicated PC in the Map Room and so will also be unavailable on Saturdays.
We remain fully open during the week and have over 1.1 million maps plus more than 43,000 atlases and books on cartography, some of which might be of interest to you!