WHAT IS DIGIMAP?
Digimap is an online service run by EDINA offering to UK Tertiary Education free access to maps and geospatial data from a number of national data providers, including Ordnance Survey and the British Geological Survey. The data is available either for download to use with appropriate application software, or as maps generated by Digimap online.
A wide range of data is available for England, Wales and Scotland with a smaller range available for the Isle of Man. Geological data is also available for Northern Ireland.
A general description of the service can be found at http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/webhelp/digimapsupport/description/about.htm
The four map collections within Digimap to which Cambridge University has a subscription are:
- Ordnance Survey® Collection i.e. Current map data. Offers a range of contemporary Ordnance Survey mapping data products. A range of online tools are available to facilitate viewing, interrogation and download of these products. Registration required. For 'How to get started' information see http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/webhelp/os/osdigimaphelp.htm
- Historic Digimap Offers a range of historical Ordnance Survey mapping data products from 1843 to 1996. A range of online tools are available to facilitate viewing, interrogation and download of these products. Registration required. For further information see http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/webhelp/historic/historicdigimaphelp.htm
- Geology Digimap Offers a range of onshore and offshore British Geological Survey mapping data products. A range of online tools are available to facilitate viewing, interrogation and download of these products. Registration required. For further information see http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/webhelp/geology/geologydigimaphelp.htm
- Environment Digimap Offers a range of Land Cover Map data products. A range of online tools are available to facilitate the viewing of these products. Registration required. For further information see http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/webhelp/environment/environmentdigimaphelp.htm
- New from 1 February 2017 Aerial Digimap Aerial imagery data at scales ranging from 1:150,000 to 1:500 available for making maps online or for download. Complete coverage of Great Britain is available.
- (The University does not have a subscription to Marine Digimap.)
GETTING ACCESS TO DIGIMAP
You need a Raven account and password. Raven passwords are available only to current staff and students of the University. All new undergraduate and postgraduate students should be given an account when they first register.
1. Logging in:
From http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/ either use the Login Button in the top right-hand corner or select the service required. When asked to 'Sign In' type 'Cambridge' in the box, select 'University of Cambridge' and enter your Raven user-id and password when requested. Further information can be found at http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/webhelp/digimapsupport/access/login_help.htm
Before you can use Digimap services you will need to register your details with Digimap and accept the licence agreements associated with each Collection. This is an automated two-step process which is described at http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/webhelp/digimapsupport/access/registration.htm
3. Class Use: Each member of a class must register for Digimap individually.
Remember that the data is available for Teaching, Educational Research, Academic Research or Limited Internal Business Use only.
The Frequently Asked Questions at http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/webhelp/os/copyright/licence_faqs.htm help to clarify the uses to which the current data can be put.
SOME USEFUL LINKS
Quick Reference Guides http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/webhelp/digimapsupport/quick_guides/quick_ref_guides.htm
Learning and Teaching Resources http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/webhelp/training/training.htm.
Data Converter/Translators Reference Table http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/webhelp/os/data_information/data_formats/new_data_translators.htm
InterpOSe for Digimap http://misoportal.com/data/interpose-for-digimap/
Digital mapping data translator for GIS and other mapping utilities http://freemappingtools.yolasite.com/
OS DATA / MASTERMAP:
OS revision policy http://edina.ac.uk/digimap/description/products/revisionpolicy.shtml ; or look at the Ordnance Survey website at http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/about/governance/policies/basic-scale-revision.html.
MasterMap Guidance Notes http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/webhelp/os/data_information/os_products/supporting/mastermap_guidance.htm
DIGIMAP SITE REPRESENTATIVES
If you require further information, please contact the Cambridge University Digimap Site Representatives:
LARGE FORMAT PRINTING
If your Department does not have large format printing facilities the following may be able to help:
Photography and Illustration Service (PandIS), 4th floor Cockcroft Building, New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge, CB2 3QG http://www.ucs.cam.ac.uk/media/pandis/illustration
Anatomy Visual Media Group (AVMG), Department of PDN, Anatomy Building, University of Cambridge, Downing Site, CB2 3DY http://www.pdn.cam.ac.uk/groups/avmg/avmgposterprinting_2009.html
Engineering Department Print Room, Room IE1-42, Department of Engineering, Trumpington Street, Cambridge CB2 1PZ http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/services/printing-services-0
OS OpenData provides free access to a selection of OS mapping datasets for Great Britain
GoGeo! This service Ceased on 31 July 2016. It provided current GeoInformation news items and pointed to what data existed where
The University has a Subscription to agcensus - another EDINA product - which provides grid square agricultural census data for England, Scotland and Wales. Map and download data is derived from Agricultural and Horticultural Censuses of Great Britain. Provides realistic estimates of what is produced, how much is produced and where it was produced.