A brief listing for these collections and other uncatalogued material is given below. For more information please consult a member of staff.
1. Individual sheets of topographic and thematic map series
The individual maps in map series are not catalogued. There will be just one catalogue entry for the series. Individual sheets must be located by using graphic indexes. Ask a member of staff for the appropriate index.
2. Administrative maps of British counties compiled by Ordnance Survey, ca. 1973 - [Classmark = Maps.31.011.]
Filed by county name. No listing of holdings available.
3. Goad plans of shopping centres [Classmark = Maps.33.022.]
Filed alphabetically by name of town. No listing available.
4. Admiralty charts, pilots' guides and ancillary material [Classmark = Maps.719.01. to 05.]
Earlier charts were catalogued separately and may be found via the card and/or online catalogues. However, since ca. 1970 they have only been listed in the class catalogue, a manuscript shelf list. Consult the Hydrographic Office’s Catalogue of Admiralty Charts [Atlas.1.06] for chart numbers (earlier editions of this catalogue may be marked with our holdings).
5. Synoptic weather charts [Classmark = Maps.W.]
Listed in class catalogues (manuscript shelf lists).
6. Air photo mosaics - Great Britain, 1:10,560 and 1:1,250, ca. 1946 - 1948 [Clasmarks = Maps.APM.01. & 02.]
The mosaics have the same sheet numbers as the Ordnance Survey 6" and 50" National Grid maps. Ask staff for the graphic indexes. Please note that coverage is limited.
7. Great Britain - Ordnance Survey large scale County and National Grid series
a) 1:500, 1:528. 1:1,056, 1:5,280 town plan series - London and other towns.
b) 1:1,250, 1:2,500, 1:10,000 and 1:10,560 series.
c) SIM etc. microform aperture cards, i.e. 1:1,250 and 1:2,500 National Grid maps.
Ask staff for graphic indexes.
8. Ireland - Large scale map series produced by Ordnance Survey Ireland and Ordnance Survey Northern Ireland
a) 1:1,000, 1:1,056 town and village plan series.
b) 1:1,250, 1:2,500, 1:5,280 and 1:10,560 series.
Ask staff for graphic index.
9. Particulars of sale (sales particulars for properties in Great Britain and Ireland, not kept up to date)
Many particulars of sale are catalogued. Uncatalogued particulars are arranged by county and are available by prior arrangement. [Maps.PS. & Maps.PSQ.]
10. Development plans / Planning reports
Most Development Plans published before about 1970 are catalogued. [Classmarks = Atlas.29. & Maps.29.]
More recent reports are listed on Janus. [Classmark = Maps.PL.02.]
11. Maps and diagrams to accompany books in the main library
These are arranged in the order of the classmark of the parent document.
12. Photographic slide and postcard collections
13. Map sellers' catalogues (official, private, modern, antiquarian)
14. Miscellaneous items and information listed in subsidiary card indexes (mainly obsolescent)
15. Railway track diagrams, station plans and other documents [Classmark = Maps.RLY.]
A brief listing is available on Janus.
16. Town plans
Many, though not all, of our town plans have been placed in one of three classmarks.
- Maps.TPE Plans of towns in England, Scotland and Wales. List (note that the Map Department may have a more up to date list)
- Maps.TPI Plans of towns in Ireland. List (note that the Map Department may have a more up to date list)
- Maps.TP Plans of towns in all other areas. List (note that the Map Department may have a more up to date list)
17. Road maps of USA and Canada
Some road maps, particularly those that were distributed free of charge by oil companies, tourism offices, etc. have been placed, uncatalogued and unlisted at these classmarks:
- Maps.c.M.012 Maps of individual states in USA
- Maps.c.M.013 Maps of individual provinces in Canada
- Maps.c.M.014 Maps of groups of states in USA
- Maps.c.M.015 Maps of whole groups of provinces in Canada
18. Country Maps [Classmark = Maps.CTRY]
A collection of maps of continents, countries and parts of countries of the world excluding Great Britain and Ireland. Arranged by country and place within that country - ask a member of staff.
19. Cambridge University Expeditions Society - CUEX http://expedition4.wix.com/cuex
This collection does not belong to the Library and library staff are not responsible for its maintenance. It has its own card catalogue and a catalogue is also available online.
20. A collection of conveyance deeds, hereditaments, mortgage drafts, leasehold agreements, conditions of sale, and valuations of various properties and lands situated throughout England and Wales [Classmark = Maps.Ms.Plans.PS.]
Ask a member of staff for a list of the items in this collection.
21. Charles Close Society Archives [Classmark = Maps.CCSA]
This collection of material relating to the Ordnance Surveys of Great Britain and Ireland is listed on Janus.
22. Cartographic Calendars [Classmark = Maps.Calendars]
Calendars illustrated with usually 12 pictures of old maps. Includes a few calendars with views of Cambridge. List ordered by Year. List ordered by Publisher. Note that there may be more up to date lists in the Map Department.
23. Cartographic Facsimiles [Classmark = Maps.Facsimiles]
Facsimiles of printed and manuscript maps (and a few views). List ordered by Area covered by the facsimile. List ordered by Cartographer. Note that there may be more up to date lists in the Map Department and that we have other facsimiles that are catalogued online or in our card catalogue and so which must be searched for separately.
24. Views [Classmark = Maps.Views]
A collection of late 19th and early 20th century volumes of views – mostly souvenir volumes for British tourist destinations. Other views are catalogued online or in the card catalogue.
25. Tourist maps of Great Britain and Ireland, and parts of Great Britain and Ireland [Classmark = Maps.GBI]
A collection of tourist maps of Great Britain and parts of Great Britain and Ireland. Usually distibrubuted free. Arranged by place - ask a member of staff.
This text is also available as Information Sheet 5B - Uncatalogued Collections (a MS Word document) or ask a member of Map Department staff for a hard copy.
NEW SEARCH FEATURE
We have recently produced a number of preliminary databases for several of these collections. The following search feature will allow you to explore the contents of these files.
At this time only the following uncatalogued collections may be searched in this way:
- (16) Town Plans
- (22) Cartographic Calendars
- (23) Cartographic Facsimiles